[Lingtyp] Entering IPA etc. characters/diacritics on new Apple Macs

Larry M Hyman hyman at berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 3 15:54:24 UTC 2023

Thanks for letting us know, Bill. I have been using IPA Palette on
Monterey, where there already are some quirks: Sometimes it doesn't insert
the symbol when you click on it, sometimes it does; it does always work
when you drag the symbol into your document or email. Does dragging not
work in Ventura? I have been hesitant to upgrade to Ventura, and now will
put it off even longer if I can get away with it!  θæŋks so mʌtʃ !!!  Best,
Larry

On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 8:50 AM William Croft <wcroft at unm.edu> wrote:

> I have used IPA Palette for entering IPA, special characters and
> diacritics on my Mac for many years, which I was very happy with.
>
> I am upgrading, or trying to upgrade, to a new Mac, using the Apple chip
> and macOS13 Ventura. Unfortunately the latest version of IPA Palette
> (2.3.2), doesn’t work on the new Macs and the Ventura OS. I wrote the
> developer, and he wrote back:
>
> “I am no longer doing any Mac OS development. IPA Palette binaries will
> probably not run on current versions of the OS; however, anyone can
> download Xcode and compile the IPA Palette sources on GitHub for the
> current OS and chip architecture.”
>
> Unfortunately, I don’t have the programming skills to do this. Have any of
> you done this for yourselves, and are willing to share the product? If not,
> what is the next best way to enter IPA/special characters/diacritics on a
> new Mac? I use it mainly for example sentences; I am not currently doing
> any continuous IPA transcription, for which an IPA keyboard setting is more
> suitable.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Larry M. Hyman, Distinguished Professor of the Graduate School
& Director, France-Berkeley Fund, University of California, Berkeley
https://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~hyman