[Lingtyp] Alternating argument marking conditioned by word order?

Uta Reinöhl uta.reinoehl at linguistik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Dec 14 19:47:05 UTC 2023

Dear Ilja,

the optionality of ergative marking has been linked (directly) to word
order differences in Tima (Niger-Congo), see Casaretto, Antje,
Dimmendaal, Gerrit J., Hellwig, Birgit, Reinöhl, Uta, Schneider-Blum,
Gertrud. 2020. Roots of Ergativity in Africa (and Beyond), Studies in
African Linguistics 49, 111-140.

You'll find the relevant examples on and around p. 122.

There may be other more detailed descriptions in other publications by
Gertrud Schneider-Blum and possibly Gerrit Dimmendaal.

Best

Uta

--
Professorin für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
Sprachwissenschaftliches Seminar