[Lingtyp] Affectionate or sympathy marking

Cat Butz Cat.Butz at hhu.de
Thu Jan 12 12:20:24 UTC 2023

Hello Christian,

Japanese uses one of its most internationally known words to express
sympathy:

kawaí-i inú=chan
cute-NPST dog-TITLE
"cute doggy"

kawai-sóo=na inú-chan
cute-EVID=N.LNK dog-TITLE
"poor doggy" (lit. doggy that seems/looks cute)

The suffix/clitic "-sóo" generally expresses evidentiality (e.g.
Oishi-sóo! 'tasty-EVID' "That [food] looks good!"), but in the case of
"kawai-sóo" has lexicalized into an expression of sympathy.

Best
---
Cat Butz (she)
HHU Düsseldorf, general linguistics

Cat Butz (sie)
HHU Düsseldorf, allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft