[Lingtyp] Pronouns, politeness, political correctness

PONSONNET Maia maia.ponsonnet at cnrs.fr
Wed May 10 14:28:22 UTC 2023

Hello,

I don't have strong view on pronouns and try my best to not hurt people when I communicate with them, including trying to match their preferred pronouns if I can.

However, Juergen's parallel raises the question of whether one has the same "ownership" relationship to pronouns as they have to their personal name.

Ultimately, I believe this raises important and interesting questions about our relationship to language in general?

Cheers and kind regards to all,

Maïa (which is actually not the same as Maia, but I usually don't protest, because these French decorations are really tricky to produce on these empoverished qwerty keyboards)

Maïa Ponsonnet

Chargée de Recherche HDR @ CNRS Dynamique Du Langage

14, avenue Berthelot, 69007 Lyon, FRANCE  -- +33 4 72 72 65 46

Adjunct @ University of Western Australia

+ + + + +

Co-rédactrice en chef du Journal de la Société des Océanistes

https://journals.openedition.org/jso/