[Lingtyp] small language families and typological rarities (Peter Arkadiev)

MARINE vuillermet marinevui at yahoo.fr
Tue Nov 21 15:38:55 UTC 2023

Dear Peter,
Our forthcoming paper may be of interest to you. It testsfor isolates having a different typological profile in comparison withnon-isolates at both local and global levels will soon appear in a volume onisolates co-edited by Salaberri, Krajewska, Santazilia & Zuloaga.
Vuillermet, Marine, David Inman, Natalia Chousou-Polydouri,Kellen P. van Dam, Shelece Easterday & Françoise Rose. To appear. Is therea typological profile of isolates? In Iker Salaberri, Dorota Krajewska, EkaitzSantazilia & Eneko Zuloaga (eds.), Investigatinglanguage isolates: Typological and diachronic perspectives. Amsterdam &Philadelphia: John Benjamins (Typological Studies in Language series)
Please find the abstract below, and the last (final?) version of thepaper on our academia/researchgate profiles:https://www.researchgate.net/publication/375792985_Is_there_a_typological_profile_of_isolateshttps://www.academia.edu/109533156/Is_there_a_typological_profile_of_isolates
Across the linguistic literature, oneoccasionally encounters claims of typological differences between isolates andnon-isolates, but these are often vague, and tend to use isolates as proxiesfor small community size, hunter-gatherer societies, and/orsocially/geographically isolated languages. We compared the distribution of 89phonological and morphosyntactic typological features between isolates andnon-isolates using a worldwide sample of 215 languages (68 isolates vs 147non-isolates), in which we were unable to find a statistically significantdistinction. We discuss the relevance of our results for these claims, for thesuggested proxy relationships between isolates and other factors, and suggestpossible avenues for future research.

Best,
Marine

Marine Vuillermet
"Humans and flies diverged from a common ancestor about 600 million years ago." (Baum & Smith 2013:5)