[Lingtyp] Novel future markers banned from negative contexts

Eleanor Coghill eleanor.coghill at lingfil.uu.se
Wed Nov 22 13:34:43 UTC 2023

Dear Omri and List,

The North-Eastern Neo-Aramaic future with bəd-, b- cannot be combined with a negator - although it's not particulary new, being found already in the earliest texts from 400 years ago. It is most likely grammaticalized from the verb bʔy I to want.

all the best

Eleanor

Prof. Eleanor Coghill
Dept. of Linguistics and Philology