6.489 Sum: Social Aspects of Orthography

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Apr 3 05:03:14 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-489. Mon 03 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 139

Subject: 6.489 Sum: Social Aspects of Orthography

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 95 16:13:00 GMT
From: Sebba M (eiams at msmail.lancs.ac.uk)
Subject: orthography: summary

Date: Fri, 31 Mar 95 16:13:00 GMT
From: Sebba M (eiams at msmail.lancs.ac.uk)

aspects of orthography, I received to date 12 responses. Many thanks to:
Celso Alvarez-Caccamo, August Cluver, George Huttar, James Kirchner, Dan
Myers, Mari Rhydwen, Henry Rogers,  Bob Rothstein, Trond Trosterud, Tim
Vance, Noriko Watanabe, H.L. Weber. Special thanks to James Kirchner for
telling me at length about the consequences of current attempts to reform
Czech orthography, and to Trond Trosterud for a detailed explanation of the
Norwegian situation.

Here follows a compilation of all the bibliographical items mailed to me by
individuals, with some additions of my own:

Andrzejewski, B.W. 1974  "The introduction of a national
orthography for Somali."  In:  African language studies 15:
199-203.

Augst, G. (ed.) 1986  New trends in graphemics and
orthography.  Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

Brown, B. 1993  "The social consequences of writing in
Louisiana French."  In:  Language and society 22, 1: 67-101.

Cassidy, F.G. 1993  "Short note on creole orthography."  In:
Journal of pidgin and creole languages 8, 1: 135-137.

Coulmas, F. 1987  "What writing can do to language: some
preliminary remarks."  In:  Battestini, S.P.X. (ed.) 1987
Georgetown University round table on languages and
linguistics 1986: developments in linguistics and semiotics,
language teaching and learning, communication across
cultures.  Washington: Georgetown University Press: 107-129.

Coulmas, N. 1991  The writing systems of the world.  Oxford:
Basil Blackwell.

Coulmas, F. and K. Ehlich (eds.) 1983  Writing in focus.
Berlin: Mouton.

Cyffer, N., K. Schubert, H.-I. Weier and E. Wolff (eds.) 1991
Language standardization in Africa.  Sprachstandardisierung
in Afrika.  Standardisation des lkangues en Afrique.
Hamburg: Helmut Buske Verlag.

Fishman, J.A. (ed.) 1977  Advances in the creation and
revision of writing systems.  The Hague: Mouton.

Gottlieb, Nanette. 1994. "Language and Politics: The Reversal of
Postwar Script Reform Policy in Japan. Journal of Asian Studies
53.1175-1198.

Guenter, H. and O. Ludwig (eds.) 1995  Schrift und
Schriftlichkeit / writing and its use.  Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.

Hellinger, M. (1986) On writing English-related Creoles in the Caribbean. In
M. Gorlach and J. Holm (eds), Focus on the Caribbean. Amsterdam, John
Benjamins.

Herrero Valeiro, Mario J.  1993.  Guerre des graphies et conflit
glottopolitique: lignes de discours dans la sociolinguistique
galicienne.  _Plurilinguismes_ 6, 181-209.

Huttar, George.  1992.  Afaka and his creole syllabary:  the social context
of a writing system.  In _Language in context:  essays for  Robert E.
Longacre_, ed. by Shin Ja J. Hwang and William R. Merrifield, 593-604.
 Dallas:  Summer Institute of Linguistics and Univ. of Texas at Arlington.

Joseph, John Earl.  1987.  Eloquence and power: The rise of
language standards and standard languages.  London: Frances
Pinter.

McClure, J.D. (1985) The Debate on Scots Orthography. In Gorlach, M. (ed.)
 Focus on: Scotland. Amsterdam, John Benjamins.

Priestly, T. (1992): Problems in the creation of an orthography: functional
load, interference, and political differences. Slavonic and East European
Journal 36:3, 302-316.

Rhydwen, Mari (1994): Kriol:the Creation of a Written Language and a Tool of
Colonisation" in Walsh, M. and Yallop C.  eds. 'Language and Culture in
Aboriginal Australia' Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra.

Robert A. Rothstein, "Spelling and Society:  the Polish
Orthographic Controversy of the 1930's," in _Papers in Slavic
Philology_ 1, ed. Benjamin A. Stolz (Ann Arbor:  Michigan Slavic
Publications, 1977), pp. 225-36.

Schieffelin, B.B. and Doucet, R.C. (1994): The "real" Haitian Creole:
ideology, metalingusitics and orthographic choice. American Ethnologist 21,
176-200.

Sebba, Mark (1994): Informal Orthographies: Phonology Meets Ideology.
Spelling and Code Switching in British Creole. Lancaster University, Working
Papers of the Centre for Language in Social Life, No.62.

Street, B. (Ed.). (1993).  Cross-Cultural Approaches to Literacy.
 Cambridge:   Cambridge University Press.

Taylor, I., & Olson, D. (Ed.). (1995).  Scripts and Literacy: Reading and
 Learning to Read Alphabets, Syllabaries and Characters. Dordrecht:
 Kluwer.

Twine, Nanette. 1991. Language and the Modern State: The Reform of
Written Japanese. London: Routledge.

Winer, L. (1990) Orthographic Standardization for Trinidad and Tobago:
Linguistic and Sociopolitical Considerations in an English Creole Community.
Language Problems and Language Planning 14, 236-268.

Xu, Jin-xiong.  1988.  Zhongguo Gudai Shehui:  Wenzi yu Renleixue de
Toushi.  Taibei:  Taiwan Shangwu Yinshu Guan.  (in Chinese).