6.505 Comparative method

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 5 14:00:11 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-505. Wed 05 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 236

Subject: 6.505 Comparative method

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 16:06:56 +1000 (EST)
From: j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)
Subject: Labial-to-dental shift in a child's language (was: comparative method!)

2)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 10:06:00 +1000 (EST)
From: j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)
Subject: Phonetic changes and the comparative method

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 16:06:56 +1000 (EST)
From: j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)

In a recent ... can you call that article?... article, then, on the
comparative method, I mentioned the bilabial-to-dental shift
independently innovated in Greek, and by number of languages of Vanuatu.

  My wife says she had developed, when very young, a personal language,
of which she could only remember two words: [Zita] "bucket", and
[akagunga] "hat" or perhaps "my hat".  Her mother remembers a little
more, and was a willing informant the other day, shortly after she
identified Fijian "vuaka" with our cat's [wako], which inspired my
send-up of Proto-World. Here is the entire corpus I elicited. Not much
to work from, but still interesting.

Key: IPA, with:
[S] = long s (esh) i.e. English sh, French ch
[Z] = the voiced equivalent, z with a curlicue. i.e. French j
[~] = nasalization (IPE tilde over preceding letter)
[E] = (epsilon), i.e. open e
[O] = open o

               French           English
[nene]         me'me'           nanny, grandma
[nana~]        maman            mummy
[nana~ janin]  maman Jeannine
               (her mother Jeannine)
[tata kanE~]   papa ca^lin (?)  cuddly(?) daddy
               (this is the term she used to refer to her father, Rene')
[tete tesa]    pe'pe' ???       grandpa ???
               (her grandfather Gaston)
[Sita]         seau             bucket
[akakwa]       ga^teau          cake
[akagunga]     chapeau          hat
[kaza]         casserole        saucepan
[SetakOnSa]    c'est pas        it isn't so!
               comme c,a!

Her mother says that she had a word for rake (ra^teau), but she could
not remember it, only that like [Sita], [akakwa] and [kaza] it had
nothing with the French word. [kaza] referred specifically to the
saucepan used for washing her hair.

You can clearly see that the rest is derived from French, with a
general labial-to-dental shift. There is one instance [l] --) [n],
quite common in Vanuatu (Shark Bay /tEn/ ( *tolu "three"). [s] --)
[S] (in [SetakOnSa] "c'est pas comme c,a!") we find in Portuguese
and Limousin.

My wife has often asked me if I knew of a language like "hers", that is,
the part which is not clearly derived from French. She sorts of believes
in metempsychosis and all that. She was sorely disappointed when I
read out some Mayan, Nahuatl and Quechua to her. Because she looks very
much like the famous Mayan jade "Maize God" she thought she was an
American Indian in a former life. "They like sound nothing like *my*
language!".  I pointed out to her that there were hundreds of languages
in North America spoken by people with a distinct resemblance with the
"Maize God", from Geronimo to Sitting Bull, if photographic memory
serves, so all hope is not lost yet.

Nota. Ross Clark rightly riles me in a personal e-mail for confusing
Fijian "levu" with "balavu". He is right, "long" is "balavu", not
"levu" (big). Come to think of it.... Swahili -refu "long, tall"
might have confused my grey cells. Swahili -refu, Fijian levu and
balavu, there is another brick towards the Proto-World ziggurat,
a.k.a. the pre-tower of Babel!