6.515 Qs: Phrasal verbs, Balanced sentences, Bantu, Japanese/Korean

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 6 22:44:58 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-515. Thu 06 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 124

Subject: 6.515 Qs: Phrasal verbs, Balanced sentences, Bantu, Japanese/Korean

                           REMINDER

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 12:33:23 -0700 (MST)
From: criseyde at IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Subject: phrasal verbs, preposition 'for'

2)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 18:29 WST
From: birdoc at omen.com.au (Daniel Jones)
Subject: Balanced Sentences

3)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 14:21:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Muriel Norde (Muriel.Norde at let.uva.nl)
Subject: Bantu languages

4)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:57:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: jlinnell at sas.upenn.edu (Julian Linnell)
Subject: Japanese/Korean

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 1995 12:33:23 -0700 (MST)
From: criseyde at IMAP2.ASU.EDU

        To Marion Kees, who wrote about the preposition 'for': I've been
doing research into the history of phrasal verbs, and I had to look at
the development of preposition use over time. Writers using English after
its reemergence, so to speak, seem very confused about their use of
prepositions, sometimes repeating the same one (apparently serving the
same function) several times in the same sentence, as if to make SURE
they'd gotten their meaning across in this language that was becoming
ever more analytic. For example: Malory writes: this lady for whom I have
foughten for. (I think Gawain said that, I don't remember). Does anyone
know anything about the history of phrasal verbs? I'm familiar with
Hiltunen's The Breakdown of OE Prefixes, but beyond that and a few
articles about these verbs as they occur in Middle English, I can find
nothing at all! Thanks!
                --Elyse Rukkila