6.524 German Affricates

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Apr 7 20:21:38 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-524. Fri 07 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 83

Subject: 6.524 German Affricates

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 08:05:12 -0400
From: "Ellen L. Contini-Morava" (elc9j at faraday.clas.virginia.edu)
Subject: German affricates

2)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 09:42:58 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 08:05:12 -0400
From: "Ellen L. Contini-Morava" (elc9j at faraday.clas.virginia.edu)

According to William Welmers (African Language Structures, U.
California Press 1973), the 1957 President's address to the LSA,
by W. Freeman Twaddell, was entitled simply "[c(with hachek)]?",
and went into the same issues that are being discussed here now.
Welmers' own treatment of the topic (ibid. pp. 53 ff.), from the
point of view of the fieldworker, is also illuminating.  His
point, well known to structuralist phonologists, was that sounds
that are audibly indistinguishable may have several different
phonemic interpretations, and he offers examples of different
solutions for different languages, with rationales.

Ellen Contini-Morava