6.525 Social Aspects of Orthography, Ling in Science Fiction

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Apr 7 20:29:54 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-525. Fri 07 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 75

Subject: 6.525 Social Aspects of Orthography, Ling in Science Fiction

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 09:48:17 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)
Subject: Re:  6.489 Sum: Social Aspects of Orthography

2)
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 22:51 +0100 (MET)
From: WERTH at ALF.LET.UVA.NL
Subject: RE: 6.501 Linguistics in science fiction

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 09:48:17 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)

An anecdote about orthography: I know a Polish speaker who
in his late teens or early twenties, as he recalls, eliminated
a phonological contrast from his speeech because it is not
reflected in the standard Polish orthography.  The problem is
that in some parts of Poland, speakers contrast palatalized
labials and labials +  yod, before a vowel, but both sequences
are written BiV (where B is any labial, V any vowel), and this
speaker eliminated the contrast in all such cases.

Alexis MR