6.533 Linguistics in Science Fiction

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Apr 9 21:44:56 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-533. Sun 09 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 146

Subject: 6.533 Linguistics in Science Fiction

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 1995 16:08:44 -0700 (MST)
From: criseyde at IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Subject: SF

2)
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 1995 20:30 -0500 (EST)
From: Mike_Maxwell at sil.org
Subject: More Summary: Linguistics in Science Fiction

3)
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 95 13:56:50 CDT
From: russell at ukraine.corp.mot.com
Subject: 6.525 Ling in Science Fiction

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 1995 16:08:44 -0700 (MST)
From: criseyde at IMAP2.ASU.EDU

you posted on Linguist-- I agree with you wholeheartedly, though with
some reservations. How about that for courageous stance-taking? My
reservation is William Gibson--Great SF, but really great as literature.
I'm not sure about Sterling, et alia. I feel that the whole cyberpunk
thing has gone too far and I'd like to see a return to Dickensian
(Philip, that is) stuff.Can I use the word stuff for SF? Linguistic profs
seem to use it all the time--"that nouny kind of stuff over there". It's
great fun to think about Linguistics and SF--thanks!