6.544 Qs: Phrasal verbs, Interdentalized laterals, Etymologies

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 12 18:31:36 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-544. Wed 12 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 112

Subject: 6.544 Qs: Phrasal verbs, Interdentalized laterals, Etymologies

                           REMINDER

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 15:06-EDT
From: Marion.Kee at A.NL.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: Phrasal verbs, preposition 'for'

2)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 16:26:15 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)
Subject: Q: Interdentalized laterals?

3)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 16:29:02 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)
Subject: Q: Etymologies and Comparative Linguistics

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 15:06-EDT
From: Marion.Kee at A.NL.CS.CMU.EDU

Elyse Rukkila [criseyde at IMAP2.ASU.EDU], asks if anyone (and specifically
myself) has information on the history of English phrasal verbs.
I'm afraid that I don't have such information.  The project that I work
for concerns itself only with contemporary English useage, so there has
been no need for us to undertake a historical analysis.  We have indeed
compiled a small corpus of phrasal verbs which are used in the domain
with which we work (heavy equipment.)  It has generally fallen to me to
determine whether a particular useage will be classified in our
analysis as a phrasal verb, or as a verb + preposition, or in some
cases as a verb + adverb (e.g. "move up".)  Sometimes there is no
clearcut way to make these decisions, so we decide based on
functionality--what is the most *useful* way to classify a particular
term, for our application?  (That is the engineering approach.)

There are also other multi-word verbs that are not verb + particle
combinations, which we have identified but have not attempted to
classify beyond grouping them with semantically-similar verbs (verbs of
physical movement, verbs of information manipulation, etc.)  These
include terms such as "blow dry", "jump start", "make sure", etc.
These phrasal verbs don't include particles which are identical to
prepositions, so they pose a different sort of ambiguity challenge
for automatic analysis.  Like the verb + particle sort of phrasal verb,
they don't lend themselves to ordinary compositional analysis, and we
handle them as idioms.

I hope some other people on this list can provide references pertaining
to the history of English phrasal verbs (the verb + particle variety.)
It would be interesting to see how these useages developed.  The
process of creating verb + particle phrasal verbs seems to be a
semi-productive one even today, but I do not know at what point in the
past it was at its height.

--Marion Kee
Marion Kee                                         | All opinions are my own;
Knowledge Engineer, Center for Machine Translation | CMU is not responsible
Carnegie Mellon University    Pittsburgh, PA, USA  | for what I write.