6.550 Qs: Various structures, Pronouns, Ergativity, Reference search

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 13 00:36:55 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-550. Wed 12 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 137

Subject: 6.550 Qs: Various structures, Pronouns, Ergativity, Reference search

                           REMINDER

Date: Sun, 09 Apr 1995 10:35:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: HARRISD at guvax.acc.georgetown.edu
Subject: copula and comparative/superlative structures, pronoun relationships

2)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 09:43:22 +1000
From: Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au (Bert Peeters)
Subject: Ergativity in French

3)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 11:02:11 +1000
From: Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au (Bert Peeters)
Subject: Faulty reference?

Date: Sun, 09 Apr 1995 10:35:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: HARRISD at guvax.acc.georgetown.edu

Two queries for the linguist list - April 1995
Query on copula and comparative/superlative structures:
I am somewhat familiar with these structures in a variety of languages.
I am unaware of major differences in comparative/superlatives. The
only two copula structures that seem to differ much at all are Russian and
Arabic with their lack of a verb "to be" in simple present-tense utterances.
Another oddity is that, in Arabic, when a verb "to be" or "to become" is
overtly present, the predicate appears in the direct-object tense. I
think this is just a case of levelling, ie. most verbs have a predicate
in the accusative case, so the few "be" or "become" verbs that there are
simply come to reflect this situation as well. I consider these two
differences to be very minor. Here then are my two questions: I am
interested to know if there are other languages where copula structures
(ie. those that contain a 'to be' or 'to become' verb) or comparative
and superlative structures ("this is bigger than that," "the biggest
in the world etc.") are treated vastly differently. In
addition, I would like to know how each constituent is treated in terms
of thematic roles. I suspect that in both utterances one would use
'theme' and 'goal' (well, maybe not in elatives) but I would like to know if
there are other ways of viewing such structures in terms of thematicization.
Thanks, David Harris,
harrisd at guvax.georgetown.edu
Query on relative and interrogative pronouns and their relationship:
In a cursory overview of the artificial language Novial that was developed
by Otto Jespersen early in this century, I noticed that Jespersen forms
relative and interrogative pronouns separately. In any language I'm
familiar with, both natural and artificial, this is the first time I've
come across one that differentiates between the two. It makes sense to
me to differentiate, because the two are so obviously different.
However, if so many langauges don't differentiate, there must 1] be
some kind of relationship between the two that would have caused this
situation to result in the first place, and 2] not be much of a problem
distinguishing between the two, or two different forms would have
eventually developed (at least in most languages) in order to
increase comprehension. My question is this: Can anyone explain to me
how these forms would have been related? I suspect that relatives develped
quite late, since they are involved in forming more complex
utterances that appear only late in a language's development. But why
would they be based on question words in so many cases? Are there
other languages where they've developed from another form? or, at least,
independent of the interrogative class?
Just curious,
David Harris, harrisd at guvax.georgetown.edu