6.554 Language Policy

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 13 16:33:03 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-554. Thu 13 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 150

Subject: 6.554 Language Policy

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 10:17:55 -0500
From: mnewman at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Michael Newman)
Subject: Re: 6.532 Language Policy

2)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:32:40 -0400
From: haig at aall.ufl.edu (Haig Der-Houssikian)
Subject: 6.532/Language Policy

3)
Date:    Wed, 12 Apr 95 22:35 PDT
From: benji wald                           (IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU)

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 10:17:55 -0500
From: mnewman at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Michael Newman)

It seems to me that it is possible but not necessary that making Latvian
and Russian co-official languages would lead to the progressive decline of
Latvian.  At least, that does not appear to be what is happening, at least
so far, in Catalonia.  If anything, returning there after a two year trip
after living there for 8 years (sorry all I have is anecdotal evidence,
take it for what it's worth, but if anyone knows better please respond), it
seemed apparent to me that Barcelona was more Catalan speaking than ever.
Some native Spanish speaking friends who didn't speak much (though they
understood) were now speaking it.  In several mixed-language marriages and
other pairings, it seemed that Catalan was language of choice, and the kids
were spoken to in both. Now, 40% of the population are either native-born
Spanish speakers or offspring of native born Spanish speakers.  They are
concentrated in the Barcelona area however, which rarely votes for the
nationalist party for what it's worth as evidence of ethnic loyalties.
Officially, both languages are co-official; more TV is in Spanish, but the
autonomous government clearly favors Catalan through language policies of
various forms.  Unlike, the situation in the Baltics, perhaps, the
government also has a policy of keeping a lid on the more strident forms of
nationalism while maintaining an officially nationalistic posture.  While I
lived there, I heard all kinds of the typical prejudices outsiders hear in
situations of mixed ethnicities resulting from immigration, but these have
never coalesced into any serious even minority proposals for population
transfers.  Also, there is a tendency for Catalan to be the language of
prestige because of correlation with class, so the impression is that to
get ahead in business, you have to know Catalan.

I will let the parallels as well as the differences speak for themselves,
but if I were talking to the prime minister of Latvia, I might say
something like, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."  Again
sorry for the impressionistic nature of this posting, and if anyone knows
of serious research on the sociolinguistic situation in Catalonia, please
post.  If not, there's some interesting research to be done.
Michael Newman
Dept. of Educational Theory & Practice
The Ohio State University

MNEWMAN at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU