6.563 Help for LINGUIST

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Apr 14 21:00:36 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-563. Fri 14 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 117

Subject: 6.563 Help for LINGUIST

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 12:40:37 -0400
From: linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu (The LINGUIST LIST)
Subject: Help for LINGUIST

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 12:40:37 -0400
From: linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu (The LINGUIST LIST)
Subject: here's the right letter

Dear Linguist Subscribers:

We'd like to express our thanks to all of you who have contributed your
time and scholarship to the list; these are, of course, the prime elements
in any academic discussion group, electronic or not.  Running LINGUIST is
a rewarding experience, and it has been encouranging to watch the number of
participants increase so dramatically: LINGUIST now has over 6300 subscribers,
60% of whom participate from countries other than the United States.  In
addition, many--perhaps thousands more--now read LINGUIST via WWW sites.

In particular, we wish to thank those readers who have made a monetary
contribution to the LINGUIST Development Fund.  Unfortunately, we really
need to receive more donations from more people.

Increasing participation means that we face an increasing volume of
information to sort and put into issues. And we're glad to do it all--it
means the journal is a success. We published over 1400 issues of LINGUIST
in 1994 and taking into account all messages, we processed over 8 million
e-mail messages.

Donations to the Development Fund last year allowed us to hire two graduate
assistant editors, Ljuba Veselinova and Ann Dizdar.  In addition, the Eastern
Michigan English Dept. is funding a half-time appointment for Anna Valdez,
whose name you may have seen on the header and who has just begun posting.
And Ron Reck, in a remarkable display of generosity, is still donating
his time to the list 2 years after ending his EMU graduate fellowship.

These highly competent assistant editors have been sorting our mail, posting
the issues, and handling much of our correspondence, as well as taking
care of behind-the-scenes details such as address changes, bounced mail,
and questions about postings or policies.  All together they are paid for 35-40
hours a week on LINGUIST (15-20 hrs. for Ljuba, 10 each for Ann and Anna), but
they work far more--particularly Ljuba, who, as the only "full-time" graduate
assistant, has become the primary assistant editor.  None will be paid in
the summer (unless Texas A&M chips in a bit for Ann).  And Ron, of course,
hasn't been paid for 2 years!  But they have all agreed to work _gratis_
so that LINGUIST can continue from May through August.  They have become
absolutely necessary to the running of LINGUIST.

However, we are in danger of losing Ljuba and Ann unless we raise enough
money to renew the "LINGUIST Fellowships.  Right now we have $4400, thanks
to your generosity last year and to the renewed generosity of the people
and publishers listed below.  But we need $3600 more to rehire our assistants
and continue publishing the list.

In the past, we have received support through three avenues: individual
donations; funds solicited from your departments, and contributions from
book editors.  We appreciate all forms and amounts. If you consider
LINGUIST to be valuable to our discipline, please take a moment to
send us your support for this service.

Send your donations to

The EMU LINGUIST Development Fund
c/o The Dept of English Language and Literature
Eastern Michigan U.
Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Thank you most sincerely for your help.

Helen & Anthony

                 ----------1995 Contributors--------

Valued Supporters:

Yukiko Sasaki Alam
Linda Coleman
Makoto Shimizu

Patrons ($50 or more):

Anonymous
Australia National University (for PACIFIC LINGUISTICS PRESS)
Michael Bernstein (for CASCADILLA PRESS)
Bernard Comrie
Richard Hudson
Karen Jensen (w/matching funds from MICROSOFT)
Katsuhiko Momoi
Daniel Radzinski
Joe Salmons & Monica Macaulay

Mainstays ($100 or more):