6.569 Qs: IBM ads, [+foreign] pronunciations, Deep structure

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Apr 15 22:39:07 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-569. Sat 15 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 110

Subject: 6.569 Qs: IBM ads, [+foreign] pronunciations, Deep structure

                           REMINDER

Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 95 12:23:02 MST
From: Mary Ellen Ryder (RENRYDER at idbsu.idbsu.edu)
Subject:      Foreign language in IBM ads

2)
Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 95 12:13:14 MST
From: Mary Ellen Ryder (RENRYDER at idbsu.idbsu.edu)
Subject:      [+foreign] pronunciations

3)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 12:21:54 -0400
From: griffi21 at potsdam.edu (Bill Griffin)
Subject: Refutation of Deep Structure

Date:         Thu, 13 Apr 95 12:23:02 MST
From: Mary Ellen Ryder (RENRYDER at idbsu.idbsu.edu)

Greetings and apologies!

I haven't yet gotten off the stuff on foreign language in ads to those
who wanted it, but I haven't forgotten.  However, I'm shameless enough
to ask for just a little more information, even though I'm not holding
up my end of the bargain.  Am I right that the IBM ad with the diver
on the boat is in Greek?  And does anyone know what the language of
the ad on the water taxi is?  That's the one where the driver at the
end gets a call on his cellular phone about soy beans and says, "Sell."

Many thanks,

Mary Ellen Ryder
renryder at idbsu.idbsu.edu