6.576 Varia: Lang in Scince Fiction, Lang & Religion, Kind-of

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Apr 17 17:37:39 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-576. Mon 17 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 163

Subject: 6.576 Varia: Lang in Scince Fiction, Lang & Religion, Kind-of

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 16:56:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: HARRISD at guvax.acc.georgetown.edu
Subject: Language in Science Fiction and Contemporary Fiction

2)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 13:14:46 -0500 (EST)
From: 00hfstahlke at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Subject: Re: 6.551 Language and Religion

3)
Date:    Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:26:15 GMT
From: LIPSON at ALMA03.CINECA.IT
Subject: RE: 6.518 Sum: Kind of, sort of

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 16:56:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: HARRISD at guvax.acc.georgetown.edu

I don't believe anyone mentioned Orson Scott Card's Wyrms, which tells
the story of humans living on an alien planet amidst three different
species of what we later discover are beings descended from humans
although they don't know it. ONe of these species has a long thin
tongue with two tips. Because of this, certain double articulations
can be formed which make it near impossible for a human to speak with
a native accent. (It would seem to me impossible, however Card
maintains that the protagonist, a human princess who is heir to the
world throne and was raised among these creatures, can actually speak
well enough to fool the creatures into thinking she is one of them -
only, of course, when she's not in view.) Anyway, I bring this up
because I think it's interesting that most SciFi writers haven't
exploited the idea of various physical make-ups and the ramifications
they would have on language types. Think of how strange a
double-articulation involving an alveolar trill with a simultaneous
/l/ /t/ /s/ or any of a dozen other sounds would be! Klingon wouldn't
even come close! (Of course, it seems to me that one would need two
tongues to pronounce the medial consonant in the name of a prominent
19th century Czech composer, Dvor^ak. Yet they do it all the same.)
  Speaking of language and fiction, I'd like to express my surprise
that a prominent author like John Irving who has had several books
made into movies could get away with the huge gaffs involving the
phonetics of the feminist crazies in his The World According to Garp.
These women call themselves Ellen Jamesians after a little girl who
was raped and had her tongue cut out by a non-too-astute guy who
figured she couldn't tell anyone who did it if he cut out her tongue.
They all cut out their own tongues to express their feeling of having
no voice in a male-based society. Yet no one bothered to check out
what sounds it was possible to utter if you had not tongue and which
would still be pronounceable, so that the entire book and movie are
filled with silly quotes like the following:
     'ucking 'ig!
where the [p] and the [f] could easily be pronounced without a tongue
and the [ng] and [g] may or may not be easily pronounceable. I'd be
curious to know if this has ever come up before, or if anyone has ever
approached JI about it. Quite an embarrassing mistake, actually,m
since it by no means takes a linguist to figure something like that
out.
David Harris, Arabic Department, Georgetown University
e-mail: harrisd at guvax.georgetown.edu   phone: 202/687-5744
http://www.georgetown.edu/grad/catalogue/arabic.html
              )*(   /^\\      //|\    ]\  \|//

     "Gott hat sich verlaufen. Jetzt rufen sie ihn von allen Seiten
            zuru"ck."
                  Elias Canetti