6.583 Qs: Ergativity, Journal, Academie Francaise, Parallel corpora

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 19 15:47:06 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-583. Wed 19 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 125

Subject: 6.583 Qs: Ergativity, Journal, Academie Francaise, Parallel corpora

                           REMINDER

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 1995 11:41:20 +1000
From: Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au (Bert Peeters)
Subject: Re: Burman and ergativity/accusativity

2)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 95 17:28 MET DST
From: labarta at inf.fu-berlin.de (Maria Labarta)
Subject: electronic journals

3)
Date: 13 Apr 1995 10:08:41 +0000
From: Bailey Brian (B.M.Bailey at bton.ac.uk)
Subject: Academie Francaise

4)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 18:04:36 +0200
From: Maria Gavrilidou ILSP (M3653 at eurokom.ie)
Subject: Parallel corpora

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 1995 11:41:20 +1000
From: Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au (Bert Peeters)

It has been suggested in the literature that languages such as
Burman, where the overt marking of syntactic functions depends
on individual circumstances (no marking if no possibility of
ambiguity), could be seen as representing an "old" type of language
which in due course would have given rise to both ergative and
accusative languages. Is there any evidence that Burman is indeed
a typologically "old" language and that accusative and ergative
languages are "newer developments" going back to a common type?
Any input would be appreciated.
Bert Peeters
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dr Bert Peeters
Department of Modern Languages (French)
University of Tasmania
GPO Box 252C         Tel.   (002) 202344   +61 02 202344
Hobart TAS 7001       Fax.  (002) 207813   +61 02 207813
Australia         Email: Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au