6.595, About Modern Old Norse ...

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Apr 22 17:12:44 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-595. Sat 22 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 74

Subject: 6.595, About Modern Old Norse ...

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 23:31:50 +0100 (BST)
From: Paul Kerswill (llskersl at reading.ac.uk)
Subject: Re: 6.548 FYI: Mod Old Norse

2)
Date:    Fri, 21 Apr 95 19:18 PDT
From: benji wald                           (IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU)
Subject: Re: 6.579 About Modern Old Norse ...

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 23:31:50 +0100 (BST)
From: Paul Kerswill (llskersl at reading.ac.uk)

Dear April Fools,

This 'new' old dialect of Norwegian has at least one precedent. My
mother (a student at Oslo c. 1948) tells me that a professor of Norwegian
nearly had a fit when he heard a student from some western fjord using
the apparently long since defunct /dh/ (voiced dental fricative) in words
like _tid_, _fjord_, etc. The student had apparently worked out where to
put this sound, and the good professor was taken in.

Paul Kerswill
Department of Linguistic Science
Reading University
UK