6.609 FYI: German as official language of the US

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Apr 25 16:21:13 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-609. Tue 25 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 147

Subject: 6.609 FYI: German as official language of the US

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 17:36:55 -0700
From: alderson at netcom.com (Richard M. Alderson III)
Subject: Re: 6.539 on Official Language

2)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 12:05:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom McClive (tommcc at email.unc.edu)
Subject: Official language

3)
Date:          Wed, 12 Apr 1995 22:53:03 +0100
From: "Carsten Quell" (quell at fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Subject:       Re: 6.539 Qs: Official lg (USA: German?)

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 17:36:55 -0700
From: alderson at netcom.com (Richard M. Alderson III)

I'm sure many people will send a copy of this, but just in case they all
hesitate, thinking that someone surely will, here's what the Frequently Asked
Questions periodic posting to the Usenet newsgroup sci.lang has to say:

       "German lost out to English as the US's official language by 1 vote."

    This entertaining story is also told of Greek, Latin, and even Hebrew.

    There was never any such vote.  Dennis Baron, in THE ENGLISH ONLY QUESTION
    (1990), thinks the legend may have originated with a 1795 vote concerning
    a proposal to publish federal laws in German as well as English.  At one
    point a motion to table discussion (rather than referring the matter back
    to committee) was defeated 41-40.  The proposal was eventually defeated.

I have from time to time seen a much longer precis of the discussion from
Baron's book, but was unable to locate it on short notice.

Rich Alderson
alderson at netcom.com