6.616, Qs: Passives, English (-) French trans, Bilingualism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Apr 28 18:26:26 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-616. Fri 28 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 163

Subject: 6.616, Qs: Passives, English (-) French trans, Bilingualism

                           REMINDER

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 01:02:22 +0200
From: mjulien at isl.uit.no (Marit Julien)
Subject: passives

2)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 16:01:28 +0000 (GMT)
From: Eoin Shalloo (91003121 at vax1.dcu.ie)
Subject: LFG references for Prolog implementation of English (-) French Trans.

3)
Date:          Tue, 25 Apr 1995 22:05:16 +0100
From: "Carsten Quell" (quell at fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Subject:       query: research/literature on mixed couples

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 01:02:22 +0200
From: mjulien at isl.uit.no (Marit Julien)

Dear linguists,

I am working on an analysis of passives and I need some data that are hard
to come by here. So I rely on your help. Below I list some active
constructions or verbs from Navajo, Oromo, Tok Pisin and Aleut, and my
question is: which of these verbs can be passivised? And what will the
passives look like? ( I have to admit that I do not know if all these
languages have a passive at all.) I need morpheme-by-morpheme glossings of
the passives. Thank you all in advance! Please reply directly to
mjulien at isl.uit.no

Here is the list:

NAVAJO (note that I have omitted all diacritics, instead I have included
tha translations, so that the meaning will be clear).

1. yi-beezh
 "it is boiling"

2. yi-beezh
   "S/he is boiling it"

3. yoo-i
 "S/he sees him/her"

4.yi-ni-l-i
 "S/he looks at (examines) him/her"

5. n-e-da
 "I sat down"

6. shi-ni-ni-l-da
  "you seated me"

OROMO

7.  Terfaan gurbaa raff-is-e

8. Terfaaan gurbaa raff-is-iis-e

(is there more than one option here?)

TOK PISIN

9. mi tok-im yu

10. What about these verbs:
bik-im
brait-im
doti-im

ALEUT

11. Piitrax igluqax qatakikux  (singular -x)

12. Piitrax sunas qakadguqax.

13. Piitrax sunas qakayakux.

14. Ayxanikung.

15. Mariiyax hlax saganiqax.