6.621, Official Language of the USA

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Apr 29 03:45:33 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-621. Fri 28 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 87

Subject: 6.621, Official Language of the USA

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 09:08:32 +0200 (DFT)
From: fs3a505 at rrz.uni-hamburg.de (A. Stenzel)
Subject: Official language/US

2)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 95 17:17:40 CST
From: halasz at kewszeg.norden1.com (Hala'sz Sa'ndor)
Subject: Re: 6.609 FYI: German as official language of the US

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 09:08:32 +0200 (DFT)
From: fs3a505 at rrz.uni-hamburg.de (A. Stenzel)

Dear LINGUIST readers,

a while ago, I posted a query about the legend that German lost out to
English as the USA's official language by just one vote. Today there
are three reply postings in the list. I would like to add that quite
a few people have replied to me directly, and I have planned to post
a summary. Sadly enough, I didn't get around to do this, but I will
write up what I received over the weekend, so that the summary will
be sent to LINGUIST on the first days of May.

As it happens, there is a kernel of truth to that legend, as is the
case with most legends.

Thanks for your patience.

Achim Stenzel
Universitaet Hamburg