6.627, Qs: German marking, Telephone lg, Comp/etymology, 1952 project

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Apr 30 19:49:09 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-627. Sun 30 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 143

Subject: 6.627, Qs: German marking, Telephone lg, Comp/etymology, 1952 project

                           REMINDER

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 10:02:10 EDT
From: David S Braun (dovid at MIT.EDU)
Subject: Sources (synchronic and diachronic) for German [+foreign] marking

2)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 09:30:21 +0200
From: "Zoltan Herczegh" (Zoltan.Herczegh at haninge.trab.se)
Subject: Language in telephony services in diff. languages

3)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 12:02:17 +0200
From: Jerome.Serme at mrash.fr (Jerome Serme)
Subject: Comparative/etymological dictionaries

4)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 12:11:15 +0200
From: Jerome.Serme at mrash.fr (Jerome Serme)
Subject: Whatever happened to?

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 10:02:10 EDT
From: David S Braun (dovid at MIT.EDU)

I am looking for synchronic and diachronic discussions of (a) classification of
"foreign" words in German as neuter and of (b) plural marking of "foreign" with
the suffix -s.  I am talking about nouns such as *das* Theater, *das* Buero,
*das* Kaffee, *das* Auto, *das* Verbum etc. and plural forms such as:  Auto-s,
Buero-s, etc.  Any sources which might discuss the history of these
phenomena or their synchronic treatment will be appreciated.  My thanks in
advance!

David Braun
dovid at mit.edu