6.628, Qs: New idioms, Database package, AL/ESL conf, Ergativity

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Apr 30 19:56:10 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-628. Sun 30 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 137

Subject: 6.628, Qs: New idioms, Database package, AL/ESL conf, Ergativity

                           REMINDER

Date: Sat, 29 Apr 1995 7:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: SILVER at sonoma.edu
Subject: Recently created idioms

2)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 1995 00:22:29 +0100 (BST)
From: Brian O Curnain (bcurnain at celt.dias.ie)
Subject: database package advise

3)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 15:29:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Nancy Novak (nen at u.washington.edu)
Subject: New England Conference in June

4)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 1995 18:11:39 +0200
From: gor05 (gor05 at rz.uni-kiel.d400.de)
Subject: "Q: ERGATIVITY

Date: Sat, 29 Apr 1995 7:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: SILVER at sonoma.edu

In my introductory semantics class we've been talking about semantic and
grammatical models speakers use to create new idioms.  A student came
up with an amusing one a friend of hers presumably created on his own:
"three french fries short of a happy meal"  --also "a sandwich short of
a picnic".  Does anyone know if these have currency, or can they be
more or less considered unique creations?
Shirley Silver