6.1036, Qs: "Not not", "After you, please", "Madam Chairwoman"

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Aug 2 05:06:48 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1036. Wed Aug 2 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  169

Subject: 6.1036, Qs: "Not not", "After you, please", "Madam Chairwoman"

                           REMINDER

Date:  Tue, 01 Aug 1995 14:52:30 +0200
From:  hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp (hiro-t)
Subject:  Query: not not

2)
Date:  Tue, 01 Aug 1995 14:55:09 +0200
From:  hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp (hiro-t)
Subject:  Query: After you, please.

3)
Date:  Tue, 01 Aug 1995 14:57:30 +0200
From:  hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp (hiro-t)
Subject:  Query: ?Madam Chairwoman.

Date:  Tue, 01 Aug 1995 14:52:30 +0200
From:  hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp (hiro-t)

Dear Linguists,
  I am working on the double negative constructions like "I didn't not
come here" and have been looking for the examples like that, but I can
find only a few examples which I think does not cover all types of
the double negatives. I would be very grateful if you could make a sen-
tences using "not not" like the following examples and could agree with
my analysis that they are basically "understatements/litotes" which
obscure the speaker's real intention. Dr. Larry Horn's _A Natural
History of Negation_ cites and exemplifies in detail such double
negatives of "not un-X" constructions, but he made no comments on "not
not" type. I assume that like "not un-X", "not not" can imply not only "
understatements/litotes" but also "irony". Do you agree with my analysis?
 But unfortunately, I could find no examples of "not not" implying
"irony". Bolinger (1980) states that "A not unselfish act, you'll have
to admit." is "ironically euphemistic." I agree with him. But how ironi-
cal? What is the mechanism of such ironical euphemism and how does it
arises? Can Sperber and Wilson's (1981, 1992) theory of "echoic
utterance" cover all the types of such irony? I would be grateful if you
 have a comment on this matter if any.

   The following are some of the examples I could collected:
  (1) A: You and Jim really must come round to my place some evening.
      B: Yes, we'd like to.