6.1042, Qs: Kerek, V-initial words

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 3 03:53:00 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1042. Wed Aug 2 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  100

Subject: 6.1042, Qs: Kerek, V-initial words

                           REMINDER

Date:  02 Aug 1995 22:01:23 GMT
From:  OSA at inform-bbs.dk (OleStig Andersen)

2)
Date:  Wed, 02 Aug 1995 11:31:38 BST
From:  larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk ("Larry Trask")
Subject:  Query: V-initial words and initial C loss

Date:  02 Aug 1995 22:01:23 GMT
From:  OSA at inform-bbs.dk (OleStig Andersen)

Is Kerek dead?

At a UN conference in Copenhagen June 26. - 28. the Russian delegate, Evdokia
Gayer, in a side remark mentioned that the Eastsibirian language Kerek has
died, implying, I take it, that the last native speaker recently died.
Can anybody out there confirm or reject this?
I would appreciate any (references to) information about the situation of
Kerek (and the other Eastsiberian languages, Chukchee, Koryak, Alyutor,
Kamchadal, Yukaghir, Gilyak, Ket and Siberian Yupik as well).

Thank you

Ole Stig Andersen
Nyvej 16 B,  1851 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
tel  +45  33 25 34 94
fax  +45  33 25 16 52
e-mail   osa at inform-bbs.dk

- sent via an evaluation copy of BulkRate (unregistered).