6.1050, Qs: French, Japanese Processing, Game of Kings

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Aug 5 14:08:50 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1050. Sat Aug 5 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  121

Subject: 6.1050, Qs: French, Japanese Processing, Game of Kings

                           REMINDER

Date:  Fri, 04 Aug 1995 12:41:57 EDT
From:  SDFNCR at ritvax.isc.rit.edu ("Dr. Word")
Subject: Q: Help with French translation

2)
Date:  Fri, 04 Aug 1995 19:40:24 BST
From:  a2226944 at athena.rrz.uni-koeln.de ("Christian Kissing")
Subject: Q: Processing of Japanese text/database; word frequencies

3)
Date:  Fri, 04 Aug 1995 21:34:23 +0300
From:  bruck at actcom.co.il (Uri Bruck)
Subject:  Q: Chess -Game of Kings? (english)

Date:  Fri, 04 Aug 1995 12:41:57 EDT
From:  SDFNCR at ritvax.isc.rit.edu ("Dr. Word")

I need help with the translation of the French word "barine".  From the
context (a song by Augusta Holme`s, including the lines "Je suis Ivan,
fils du barine") I infer that it's some member of Russian nobility, but
have been unable to find it in 4 dictionaries.  Please e-mail responses
directly to me, as this can't really be of wide interest.  THanks.
Susan Fischer