6.1079, Disc: Sex/Lang, Re: 1077

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Aug 12 04:43:06 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1079. Fri Aug 11 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  88

Subject: 6.1079, Disc: Sex/Lang, Re: 1077

Date:  Fri, 11 Aug 1995 14:10:22 EDT
From:  sstraigh at bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu ("H. Stephen Straight (Binghamton Un
iversity/SUNY)")
Subject:  Re: Disc: Sex/Lang

2)
Date:  Fri, 11 Aug 1995 12:34:33 +0600
From:  Lang_lem at centum.utulsa.edu (Lydie Meunier)
Subject:  Re: 6.1077, Disc: Sex/Lang, Re: 1070

Date:  Fri, 11 Aug 1995 14:10:22 EDT
From:  sstraigh at bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu ("H. Stephen Straight (Binghamton Un
iversity/SUNY)")

In our focus on the epicene pronoun that doubles as the masculine pronoun,
and the generic noun (e.g. Man) that doubles as the masculine form, we
sometimes let logic, and the theory of markedness, overwhelm psychology.
The evidence, I believe, strongly supports the claim that even in clearly
non-specific contexts these items trigger masculine prototypes in
receivers.  "Every one of the members of the Boys and Girls Club loves his
parents."  "The cultures of the world provide ample testimony on the
extent of man's capacity to adapt to different environments."  No matter
that the situations logically embrace both sexes (and all genders :-),
the damage is done.

Yucatec Maya, by the way, has no grammatical gender and, to the best of my
knowledge, exhibits no morphological or semantic tendency toward treating
either sex as the unmarked member of the pair.  There are often separate
nouns for the two sexes (e.g. _suku'un_ 'older brother', _kiik_ 'older
sister'), and ways to mark nouns as referring to one or the other sex
(e.g. the prefixes_hshi'ib-_ 'male', _shch'u'ub-_ 'female') but without
marking (e.g. _paal_ 'child', _i'c'in_ 'younger sibling') I do not believe
the nouns evoke a sex-specific prototype.  I'll admit, though, that I
haven't checked.  There's a nice thesis topic!

H Stephen STRAIGHT, Anthro/Ling/Lgs Across the Curric, Binghamton U (SUNY)
Box 6000, Binghamton NY 13902-6000   Tel: 607-777-2824   Fax: 607-777-2889