6.1084, Disc: He/She, Re: 1071

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Aug 12 14:47:14 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1084. Sat Aug 12 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  103

Subject: 6.1084, Disc: He/She, Re: 1071

Date:  Thu, 10 Aug 1995 17:15:52 EDT
From:  Jefweb at aol.com
Subject:  Re: 6.1071, Disc: He/She

Date:  Thu, 10 Aug 1995 17:15:52 EDT
From:  Jefweb at aol.com

Paul Foulkes
paul.foulkes at newcastle.ac.uk

WRITES:

<<<
h-initial forms of the feminine pronoun are alive - if not
necessarily very well - in various parts of Britain, if not
elsewhere. At a guess these are usually restricted to rural areas.
Conservative speakers in parts of Derbyshire, for example, retain
a form typically written as 'her' (and which, naturally, is normally
regarded as misuse of the possessive pronoun). Dialect maps (eg by
Orton) often deal with these pronouns.