6.1100, Disc: Uniformitarianism, Re: 1086; Sex/Lang

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 14 19:41:29 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1100. Mon Aug 14 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  75

Subject: 6.1100, Disc: Uniformitarianism, Re: 1086; Sex/Lang

Date:  Mon, 14 Aug 1995 09:27:00 MDT
From:  r.hudson at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Hudson)
Subject:  Uniformitarianism

2)
Date:  Mon, 14 Aug 1995 09:28:39 MDT
From:  r.hudson at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Hudson)
Subject:  sexism

Date:  Mon, 14 Aug 1995 09:27:00 MDT
From:  r.hudson at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Hudson)

Alex missed the main linguistics reference on uniformitarianism: Bill
Labov's many discussions of language change. E.g. There's a section of `The
social setting of linguistic change' called `The study of sound change in
progress: the Uniformitarian Principle', reprinted in "Sociolinguistic
Patterns" (1972, Blackwell), p. 274ff. Also numerous references, especially
pp 21-3, in his recent "Principles of Linguistic Change" (1994, Blackwell).
Prof Richard Hudson                           Tel: +44 171 387 7050 ext 3152
                                             E-mail: r.hudson at ling.ucl.ac.uk
Dept. of Phonetics and Linguistics                     Tel: +44 171 380 7172
                                                       Fax: +44 171 383 4108
UCL
Gower Street
London WC1E 6BT