6.1108, Disc: Kinship Terms, Re: 1100, 1104

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Aug 16 14:59:35 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1108. Wed Aug 16 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  75

Subject: 6.1108, Disc: Kinship Terms, Re: 1100, 1104

Date:  Tue, 15 Aug 1995 14:53:21 EDT
From:  Wechsler at world.std.com (Allan C Wechsler)
Subject:  Vocative kin-terms
          6.1104, Disc: Sex/Lang, Re: 1100

2)
Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 09:42:12 MDT
From:  r.hudson at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Hudson)
Subject:  sons and daughters

Date:  Tue, 15 Aug 1995 14:53:21 EDT
From:  Wechsler at world.std.com (Allan C Wechsler)
          6.1104, Disc: Sex/Lang, Re: 1100

Regarding Dick Hudson's and Alexis Manaster Ramer's recent exchange on
which kin-terms can be used as vocatives, I add the following data:

(1) (a) Mom
    (b) Dad
    (c) Sis
    (d) * Broth [bR&D]

There is no equivalent colloquial vocative for male siblings, although
"Bub" and "Bud" might have served that role historically.  Also note
BVE "Bro".

-A