6.1112, Qs: Sapir-Whorf, Phrase identification, Yiddish

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 17 14:26:28 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1112. Thu Aug 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  102

Subject: 6.1112, Qs: Sapir-Whorf, Phrase identification, Yiddish

                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 12:26:57 -0800
From:  AKAYE at CCVAX.FULLERTON.EDU ("Alan S. Kaye")
Subject:  Sapir-Whorf

2)
Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 14:57:28 EDT
From:  KAMULL01 at ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU ("Karen A. Mullen")
Subject:  Phrase identification

3)
Date:  16 Aug 1995 13:42:09 +0800
From:  charlotte_linde at irl.org ("Charlotte Linde")
Subject:  Yiddish Orthography

Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 12:26:57 -0800
From:  AKAYE at CCVAX.FULLERTON.EDU ("Alan S. Kaye")

SAPIR-WHORF HYPOTHESIS

I know Linguist had extensive conversation about "snow," etc., etc., and
the current status of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.  I am once again faced with
how to teach this material in Introductory Linguistics (I use the latest
ed. of Lg. Files, OSU, which has a chapter on it).  My question to the
network is this.  What sort of conclusion is now appropriate?  I have
always stated that no one has disproved Whorf's mild version of ling.
relativity (let's leave ling. determinism aside, or the stronger version).
But I have been reading Pinker's The Lg. Instinct.  It is stated therein
that Whorf was clearly wrong on all counts (and how could he have been so
wrong!).

The subject matter of S-W is material which students have always found
fascinating.  The literature on the hypothesis is now VAST.  All I want to
do is to be fair vis-a-vis ling. in 1995 and present the state of the art
of what we KNOW today.

I will gladly post a summary for all those who care to write to me of their
experiences here, either teaching or researching.

Respond either to me (akaye at fullerton.edu) or directly to the Network, as
per your inclination.  Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Alan Kaye
Linguistics
Calaifornia State University
Fullerton, CA 92634