6.1128, Disc: Kinship, Re: 1100, 1108, 1113

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Aug 20 14:09:29 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1128. Sun Aug 20 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  99

Subject: 6.1128, Disc: Kinship, Re: 1100, 1108, 1113

Date:  Fri, 18 Aug 1995 11:44:24 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1119, Disc: Kinship terms, Re: 1113

2)
Date:  Fri, 18 Aug 1995 14:21:00 CDT
From:  Mike_Maxwell at sil.org
Subject:  re: Kinship terms

3)
Date:  Sat, 19 Aug 1995 16:15:29 -0000
From:  nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk (Nicholas Ostler)
Subject:  Re: 6.1110, Disc: Kinship Terms, Re: 1100, 1108

Date:  Fri, 18 Aug 1995 11:44:24 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

Re Steven Straight's comments, the brevity of son cannot be the sole
factor involved, since dad and mom pattern with father and mother,
while son is different (it is not used as a true vocative but is
used as the usually-postposed "bonding" form), and brother is different
still, since it is not used in either way.  Moreover, the contrast
between the -er terms and the -er-less son directly reflects the
Proto-Indo-European *p at te:r, *ma:te:r, *bhra:te:r, etc., but *su:nus
(@ = schwa).

Alexis Manaster Ramer