6.1132, Qs: Borrowing, Huehnergoetter, 'to where/whenever'

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Aug 20 14:41:55 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1132. Sun Aug 20 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  128

Subject: 6.1132, Qs: Borrowing, Huehnergoetter, 'to where/whenever'

                           REMINDER

Date:  Fri, 18 Aug 1995 20:51:28 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Q: Borrowing of the term for '1'?

2)
Date:  Sat, 19 Aug 1995 16:54:36 +0200
From:  Hiwis-Wode at anglistik.uni-kiel.de (" (Hiwis Wode)")
Subject:  Huehnergoetter

3)
Date:  Sat, 19 Aug 1995 17:55:27 CDT
From:  BDHARRIS at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU
Subject:  'To Where' As A Subordinator: Request for Tokens

4)
Date:  Sat, 19 Aug 1995 18:00:38 CDT
From:  BDHARRIS at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU
Subject:  'Whenever' in Aberrent Uses in Southern American English

Date:  Fri, 18 Aug 1995 20:51:28 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

I have been collecting examples of borrowed numerals 1-10 recently
(for a paper to appear in 1997 in the Wiener Zeitschrift fur die
Kunde des Morgenlandes).  Curiously, while '1' is quite UNstable
and frequently replaced by neologisms, I do not seem to have any
examples of it being borrowed, and would appreciate any.  (Note:
I have lots of examples of borrowing from 4 on and a handful involving
2 and 3.  I could use more such examples involving 2 and 3).

Will post a summary.

Alexis Manaster Ramer