6.1136, Sum: German terms for sibilant, etc

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 21 01:49:24 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1136. Sun Aug 20 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  49

Subject: 6.1136, Sum: German terms for sibilant, etc

Date:  Sun, 20 Aug 1995 19:14:43 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Summary: German terms for sibilant, shibilant, etc.

Date:  Sun, 20 Aug 1995 19:14:43 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

Just the other day I asked if anybody knew the German terms for
sibilant, shibilant, and the category of sound which Russian, Georgian,
etc. linguists know as, in effect, 'sibilant-shibilant' (of which
the Polish s-acute, c-acute, and z-acute, orthographically speaking,
are examples).  Peter Daniels noted that older German works on Semitology
do not use any special terms.  Carsten Breul reported Sibilant and
Schibilant, and also, for the former, Zischlaut (one wishes it were
*Zisslaut, but languages are only human!).  A source off LINGUIST tells
me that a shibilant is also a Rauschlaut, although Carsten tells me this
does not appear to be a widespread usage (but thinks it sounds very
suitable).  So, Zischlaut and Rauschlaut it is.  But I guess there is
still the problem of the remaining category (which has names in Russian
and Georgian, but not to my knowledge in English, French, OR German).

Maybe we should collectively try to come up with something for each
of these languages?

Alexis Manaster Ramer