6.1141, Disc: Kinship Re: 1119, Sex/Lang, Re: 1100

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 21 16:57:19 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1141. Mon Aug 21 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  202

Subject: 6.1141, Disc: Kinship Re: 1119, Sex/Lang, Re: 1100

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Sun, 20 Aug 1995 22:48:50 CDT
From:  CONNOLLY at msuvx2.memphis.edu
Subject:  Re: 6.1135, Disc: Kinship, Re: 1119

2)
Date:  Sun, 20 Aug 1995 22:54:03 CDT
From:  CONNOLLY at msuvx2.memphis.edu
Subject:  Re: 6.1136, Sum: German terms for sibilant, etc

3)
Date:  Mon, 21 Aug 1995 10:11:47 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

4)
Date:  Mon, 21 Aug 1995 09:37:24 MDT
From:  koontz at boulder.nist.gov (John E. Koontz)
Subject:  Re: 6.1104, Disc: Sex/Lang, Re: 1100

Date:  Sun, 20 Aug 1995 22:48:50 CDT
From:  CONNOLLY at msuvx2.memphis.edu

Jefweb at aol.com wrote:

>   The asymmetry of 'son'  with some of the other kinship terms has been
>pointed out: mother, father, sister, brother and daughter.
>   The '-ster' (as found in Norse borrowed 'sister' ) seems to be the
>feminine agentive, perhaps related to the others, but of a different order.

No, it is not a feminine agentive.  German _Schwester_ and Dutch _zuster_ also
have -ster with no hint of Norse influence.  By the way, although English
_sister_ is allegedly borrowed from Norse, OE _sweoster_ could perfectly well
have lost its _w_ all by itself, perhaps rounding the following vowel in the
process.  (How about that!  Old English has -ster too!)

>Iinterestingly, this at one-time feminine '-ster' is found in 'mister'

No way.  _Mister_ is a weakened, or unstressed, form of _master_, which in turn
derives from Latin _magister_ 'master, ruler, chief', later 'teacher'.  It is
extended from Latin _magis_ 'more', and the root is also seen in Latin
_mag-nus_ 'great'.  But any dictionary contains this information.

>What is the '-er' as found in IE cognate languages, and seen in these kinship
>terms?

It seems to be nothing more than a suffix found in Kinship terms.

>The '-er' prefix

you mean "suffix"?

>in Germanic is
>in many cases overtly agentive. 'Father' can be argued to have had a sense
>related to occupational 'feeder' in some remote connection

The Germanic agentive suffix derives from the Latin -a:rius, which was not
agentive, but rather (I think) adjectival, meaning 'pertaining to'.  But some
medieval usages seem pretty agentive to me.

BTW, it has been claimed that PIE -ter in these forms *was* an agentive suffix,
but the root would then be _*p at -_ (@ is Schwa, i.e. a vocalyzed laryngeal),
which is not attested in the meaning 'feed'.  Kretzschmer apparently suggested
that the root (full grade *_po:(i)-_) meant 'protect', but Pokorny
(Indogermanisches etymologisches Woerterbuch) merely mentions this skeptically.

Scepticism is in order, however we spell it.

>'foster', from the time when '-ster' was productively feminine.

The OED says nothing of the sort!  Did you actually get your magnifying glass
out and look at it?  I did, and found the following.  The more common word
means 'food, nourishment', later 'guardianship' or 'offspring'.  This word
derives from the root PGmc. *_fo:d-_ + the instrumental suffix _-tro-_.  The
consonants aren't quite as neat as the OED suggests, but the etymology seems on
target.  There is also a much less well-attested OE _fo:stre_ 'nurse', but the
OED derives this from that same root *_fo:d-_ + the feminine agentive suffix.
So this foster is the 'female feeder', not the 'female father', whatever that
might mean.

Etymology is a tricky business, and I advise paying close attention to the
facts and the acknowledged authorities instead of suggesting plausible-sounding
new explanations without *careful* research.

                *************************************

H. Stephen Straight wrote:

>I don't understand Alexis Manaster Ramer's statement that
>
>> dad and mom pattern with father and mother, while son is different (it
>> is not used as a true vocative but is used as the usually-postposed
>> "bonding" form), and brother is different still, since it is not used
>> in either way.
>
>To the extent that dad and mom pattern differently from son they go beyond
>being vocatives to become virtual proper names, as in "I'm writing a
>letter to Dad asking for money."  When used vocatively they're no
>different from son.

Right.  All kinship words can be used in direct address, which is what
_vocative_ means, as Alex surely knows.  The difference is that in other uses,
many can be treated as proper names (no article, attributive adjective
difficult, etc.), but _son_ cannot be.  Yet the vocative use of _son_ is quite
frequent in some quarters, e.g. here in Memphis.

> And as for brother and sister, aren't bro and sis
>sometimes used the same way as son and mom and dad?  On this account the
>odd kin type is not son but rather daughter, which has no attested
>vocative.

I wouldn't use it in direct address, (besides, I have three male offspring
and no females), but it certainly is attested ("Daughter, go to your room and
learn to obey" etc.).  But it's not current here anyway.

> Might this difference reflect upon controversies that have
>emerged in this discussion regarding the universality and/or antiquity of
>gender differences?

I doubt it, son.

Leo A. Connolly                         Foreign Languages & Literatures
connolly at msuvx1.memphis.edu             University of Memphis