6.1143, Disc: Kinship terms

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 21 21:14:10 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1143. Mon Aug 21 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  79

Subject: 6.1143, Disc: Kinship terms

Date:  Mon, 21 Aug 1995 13:03:34 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1141, Disc: Kinship Re: 1119, Sex/Lang, Re: 1100

2)
Date:  Mon, 21 Aug 1995 12:25:47 PDT
From:  alderson at netcom.com (Richard M. Alderson III)
Subject:  Re: 6.1135, Disc: Kinship

Date:  Mon, 21 Aug 1995 13:03:34 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

Leo Connolly is right to suggest that I know the term 'vocative'
and what it means.  I do.  The point is that there appear to be
two different "vocative" patterns in English, or as I have
suggested calling them, vocative vs. addressive, and 'son' behaves
differently from the terms for senior relatives with respect to
this distinction.  And since the whole discussion started with Dick
Hudson suggesting that there is no difference (and this implied some
special respect for male, but not female children), that point is
surely the relevant one here.

I am not sure that it is true that there is a connection between
vocative use and use as a quasi-proper-name.  It seems to me that
'baby' works much like 'mom' and 'dad', i.e., it can be used as
a vocative (and merely an addressative like 'son'), and yet it is
not used as a quasi-proper-name.  'Officer' is another common vocative
which is not a quasi-proper-name.

Alexis Manaster Ramer