6.1153, Qs: Globalization, Yago, Scots Gaelic, Pidgin English

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 24 15:47:12 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1153. Thu Aug 24 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  108

Subject: 6.1153, Qs: Globalization, Yago, Scots Gaelic, Pidgin English

                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 23 Aug 1995 13:55:35 EDT
From:  JKRTEYA at grove.iup.edu (Mayssa Abou-Youssef)
Subject:  Q: Globalization (the term)

2)
Date:  Wed, 23 Aug 1995 23:33:08 +0300
From:  carlota at vms1.nce.ufrj.br (Maria Carlota A. P. Rosa)
Subject:  Yago

3)
Date:  Thu, 24 Aug 1995 03:01:55 -0000
From:  C.H.Rand at massey.ac.nz (Charles Randriamasimanana)
Subject:  Scots Gaelic

4)
Date:  Thu, 24 Aug 1995 03:08:31 -0000
From:  C.H.Rand at massey.ac.nz (Charles Randriamasimanana)
Subject:  Cameroon Pidgin English

Date:  Wed, 23 Aug 1995 13:55:35 EDT
From:  JKRTEYA at grove.iup.edu (Mayssa Abou-Youssef)

[I send this request for a colleague.]  The term "globalization"
in a business marketing sense refers to providing a single,
undifferentiated (by culture) product world wide: McDonalds
hamburgers are the same in Cairo, Illinois, and Cairo, Egypt.
One could of course speak of a globalization of culture as well
as of products, and that's usually somewhat a synonym for
Westernization, which has positive or negative connotations,
depending on who or where you are, of course.  I'm interested
(for a paper on globalization) in knowing whether this term
exists in these senses in other languages -- and what the
connotations are within those languages.  Please send replies
directly to me, Malcolm Hayward, mhayward at grove.iup.edu, and
I will post a summary later.  Thanks.  Malcolm Hayward