6.1172, Misc: Currency Names, Sibilant-Shibilant, Ling for teens

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Aug 29 15:49:13 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1172. Tue Aug 29 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  88

Subject: 6.1172, Misc: Currency Names, Sibilant-Shibilant, Ling for teens

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 1995 14:03:59 EDT
From:  RBAJR at vms.cis.pitt.edu ("ROBERT B. ALLEN, JR.")
Subject:  Re: 6.1145, Sum: Currency names

2)
Date:  Fri, 25 Aug 1995 16:46:01 +0200
From:  wilhelm.zickfeldt at german.uio.no (A. Wilhelm Zickfeldt)
Subject:  Sibilant-Shibilant

3)
Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 1995 10:22:41 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1158, Qs: Click, Glamour, Ling for teens, Models of perception

Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 1995 14:03:59 EDT
From:  RBAJR at vms.cis.pitt.edu ("ROBERT B. ALLEN, JR.")

In a recent summary of currency terms, T. Beasley of UCLA is quoted as saying
that the term "real" was spread to SE Asia by "Islamic invaders".  What Islamic
invaders?  As far as I know, no outside Muslims ever invaded SE Asia.  Islamic
did not spread to SE Asia through invasion.  Please be more careful.
Bob Allen
University of Pittsburgh