6.1183, Qs: Acq of French, Gerunds/infinitives, J Kelly

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Aug 30 18:13:45 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1183. Wed Aug 30 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  170

Subject: 6.1183, Qs: Acq of French, Gerunds/infinitives, J Kelly

                           REMINDER

Date:  Mon, 28 Aug 1995 15:52:25 EDT
From:  CXJU at MUSICA.MCGILL.CA (Julie Auger)
Subject:  Acquisition of French

2)
Date:  Tue, 29 Aug 1995 08:52:55 EDT
From:  mcgarryrg at conrad.appstate.edu

3)
Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 1995 15:04:37 -0000
From:  peturk at rhi.hi.is (Petur Knutsson)
Subject:  Q: Address for Joe Kelly

Date:  Mon, 28 Aug 1995 15:52:25 EDT
From:  CXJU at MUSICA.MCGILL.CA (Julie Auger)

Hello,
  I have two questions about the acquisition of French as a native
language:
1.   Does anyone know of a reference to the fact that preschool
     children, who do not normally use the _ne_ of negation, use
     that _ne_ when playing doctor?
2.   Are there any studies on the acquisition of variable rules or
     the development of stylistic variation in response to different
     interlocutors or social settings?  I am particularly interested
     in studies including very young children, but studies of school-
     age kids are of interest, too.
  Thanks in advance.
- Julie Auger
  McGill University
Date:  Tue, 29 Aug 1995 08:52:55 EDT
From:  mcgarryrg at conrad.appstate.edu

I am conducting research in the usage of gerunds and infinitives
in certain situations.  My methodology consists of a
short four-situation survey which can be completed in
about ten minutes.  Your feedback will be both welcomed
and appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your help.  Rick McGarry

Participant Survey

In what place have you lived the longest?

Where do you live now?

Do you think you talk like most of the people in
your hometown?  Why or why not?

Please read the situations below.  Indicate the phrase
you might use.  Then indicate why you chose your answer.
There are no right or wrong answers.

Situation 1:
On your way home from work, a police officer pulls you
over and claims you were speeding.  Angered by the
inconvenience, you insist that you were not speeding,
but the officer tickets you anyway.  As you are relating
this event to a friend,

Which are you more likely to say?
1)  I continued arguing with the police officer
but I didn=D5t get anywhere.
2)  I continued to argue with the police officer
but I didn=D5t get anywhere.

Why did you make this choice?

Situation 2:
You are finally taking a much needed vacation.  You are
camping at Price Lake in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and
you wake up on a beautiful summer morning to the sounds
of the birds singing.  You are ecstatic to be in the
mountains away from work and the phone.  As you watch
the mist rising over the lake,

which are you more likely to say?
1)  I love camping in the mountains!
2)  I love to camp in the mountains!

Why did you make this choice?

                                                                           =

Situation 3:
Your boss has given you until Friday to complete
a major project at work.  If you are successful,
you are in line for a sizable promotion and raise.
It is the Wednesday before the project is due, and
the project is not falling into place.  Finally, early
Thursday morning you had a brainstorm and began
the project.  At work on Thursday, you are tired
but relieved that the project is going well.  You
relate this to one of your colleagues.

Which are you more likely to say?
1)  I began working on the project at 3 this morning.
2)  I began to work on the project at 3 this morning.

Why did you make this choice?

Situation 4:
You are frustrated!  Very frustrated!!  You are a month
into a new diet that has been guaranteed to help you lose weight.
But it isn't working.  You aretalking to a friend
about your frustration.

Which are you more likely to say?
1)  I've tried losing weight, but I just can't seem to!
2)  I've tried to lose weight, but I just can't seem to!

Why did you make this choice?