6.1188, Calls: Specifiers, Sociolinguistics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 31 14:22:28 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1188. Thu Aug 31 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  259

Subject: 6.1188, Calls: Specifiers, Sociolinguistics

Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 1995 15:11:47 BST
From:  lang7 at mailer.york.ac.uk (D Adger)
Subject:  Call for papers: Conference on Specifiers

2)
Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 1995 20:33:00 +0200
From:  sandi at uevora.pt (Sandi Michele de Oliveira)
Subject:  SPECIAL CONFERENCE ON SOCIOLINGUISTICS

Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 1995 15:11:47 BST
From:  lang7 at mailer.york.ac.uk (D Adger)

                           First Call For Papers

                                SPECIFIERS

                              To be held at
                          The University of York
                        the King's Manor, York, UK
                            21st-23rd March 1996

Invited Speakers:

          Jane Grimshaw        Rita Manzini
          Teun Hoekstra        Ian Roberts
          Peggy Speas

"Specifier" has had a range of meanings in generative syntax, with the
recent consensus that a specifier is a position structurally defined by
X-bar theory. If current proposals by Chomsky are correct, then it is no
longer possible to define specifier in precisely this way and the
question of what a specifier is is thrown into sharp relief. There are
at least four broad areas of concern:

What are specifiers structurally?
Are they always present in a derivation?
How do they differ from adjuncts?
Differences between specifiers of lexical and functional heads;
multiple specifier constructions etc.
What is the Specifier-head relationship?
How do the Wh-criterion and related criteria for focus, voice, negation
etc. work?
How does the spec-head relationship motivate movement?
The directionality of checking theory; how does one capture
cross-linguistic/diachronic variation in this area? "doubly-filled"
effects  etc.
How  are Specifiers relevant to fields of enquiry adjacent to syntax?
Do Specifiers have a special status in L1/L2 acquisition?
How are specifier positions mapped onto semantic representations?
Do specifiers have a morphological status? etc.
How are Specifier-specific phenomena captured in other frameworks?
HPSG; Optimality theoretic syntax; LFG; categorial frameworks etc.

Contributors should send 5 anonymous copies of an abstract not exceeding
1 page (a separate page containing references may be included), plus one
camera ready original containing author's name, address, affiliation and
e-mail address. Abstracts may not be submitted by email or fax.
Presentations will be for 30 minutes + 10 minutes questions. The deadline
for abstract submission is November 10th 1995.

We intend to publish a volume based on the conference and with this in
mind we welcome papers on a broad range of topics from psycholinguistic,
acquisitional, semantic and morphological perspectives, as well as purely
syntactic.

For further information contact the organising committee: David Adger;
Susan Pintzuk; Bernadette Plunkett and Georges Tsoulas.
email: lang7 at tower.york.ac.uk
http://www.york.ac.uk/~lang7/
Tel:  44 (0)1904 432650          Fax: 44 (0)1904 432652
Dept. of Language and Linguistic Science, Universty of York, Heslington,
York, YO1 5DD