6.1697, Disc: Unusual Sound Change t > h

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Dec 3 17:49:06 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1697. Sun Dec 3 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  66

Subject: 6.1697, Disc: Unusual Sound Change t > h

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Fri, 01 Dec 1995 15:54:00 PST
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  Re: 6.1691, Disc: Unusual Sound Change t > h

Date:  Fri, 01 Dec 1995 15:54:00 PST
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )

The list messages on *t > h are most interesting.  In addition I have
received a number of messages on Irish and other Celtic languages.
I'm waiting a little to see what else comes in before posting a
summary.  The Siouan mentioned by Koontz and maybe the Iroquoian
(Northern) as well may be at a greater time depth than the Bantu
changes I originally mentioned.  Therefore, a fuller understanding of
the Bantu changes, with an interesting array of reflexes of *t, may be
of some help in reconstructing the paths of the Siouan (at least)
changes.  For example, I take it that the *th reconstructed by Koontz
and some others for Siouan was NOT dental, but post-alveolar (cf. the
*rh or *hr reconstruction he mentioned), while the Irish change was
uncontroversially from a dental "t".  In the sum, I'll give further
information about the Bantu situation, which also includes a dental
vs. post-alveolar "t" as a phonemic contrast in some languages.  I'll
also present a change which I think is even rarer, involving post-
alveolar "t", i.e., its UNCONDITIONED change to a voiceless palatal
affricate, having absolutely nothing to do with textbook
palatalisation.  I'll explain what probably happened for this outcome
-  and I'm sure it is a most unusual change, with implications for
consonantal shifts (which are clearly very rich and instructive in
Bantu).

Meanwhile, something that has given me pause about the Irish (dental)
t > h as I read up on it is that on one hand it seems that the
intermediate theta fell together with /s/, and both changed to /h/.
However, the merger seems to have only been partial, since
descriptions I have read indicate that the theta > h is affected by
the nature of the following vowel, but I have not noted such an
account for the s > h change.  Maybe somebody can clarify this
situation for me before I post a sum.  By the way, theta > h is
attested elsewhere, and, of course, s > h is a very common change.
Thus, in t > h, we want to know whether or not the starting point was
dental in order to reconstruct the path of the change.  More to come.
Benji