6.1705, Qs: Ethymology of paella, Center-embedding, Common root words

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Dec 5 16:21:13 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1705. Tue Dec 5 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  116

Subject: 6.1705, Qs: Ethymology of paella, Center-embedding, Common root words

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)
                           REMINDER

Date:  03 Dec 1995 09:19:03 EST
From:  100431.2563 at compuserve.com (Michael Lilljequist)
Subject:  Ethymology of paella

2)
Date:  Mon, 04 Dec 1995 09:45:46 CST
From:  r.hudson at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Hudson)
Subject:  center-embedding

3)
Date:  Sun, 03 Dec 1995 18:13:04 EST
From:  EFWAGNER at aol.com
Subject:  Common root words

Date:  03 Dec 1995 09:19:03 EST
From:  100431.2563 at compuserve.com (Michael Lilljequist)

I'm looking for the ethymology of the Spanish word/dish paella. Maybe
you can help ?

I have heard two theories, one that it comes from the Arabic "baella",
which means "remains". This would date back to the Arabic invasion of
Spain. The other theory is that it would come from the French "poele",
which means "frying pan".

Would appreciate if you could assist or direct me to another address.

My address is 100431.2563 at COMPUSERVE.COM.

Thanks and best regards,
Mike Lilljequist, Switzerland