6.1706, FYI: Journal of Slavic Linguistics (info and TC)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Dec 5 16:26:40 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1706. Tue Dec 5 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  129

Subject: 6.1706, FYI: Journal of Slavic Linguistics (info and TC)

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Sun, 03 Dec 1995 09:56:13 EST
From:  gfowler at indiana.edu (George Fowler)
Subject:  Journal of Slavic Linguistics (info and TC)

Date:  Sun, 03 Dec 1995 09:56:13 EST
From:  gfowler at indiana.edu (George Fowler)

Greetings, all!
     The Journal of Slavic Linguistics would like to confirm the IULC
posting to Linguist (6.1690), announcing the disassociation of JSL and
IULC, and follow up with some additional information on our on-going
operation, including the full subscription address, which was omitted
from the IULC posting.
     First, we would like to express our gratitude to IULC for their
indispensable help in starting up JSL. We could never have gotten it
off the ground without them. Today JSL has become a (dare I say:
"the"?)  leading U.S. outlet for research in Slavic linguistics (see
contents below for evidence!), with reliable double-blind refereeing,
an acceptance rate of around 30%, and faithful adherence to nearly all
of Geoff Pullum's principles (from his "Stalking the Perfect
Journal"). The only area in which we have not achieved all our goals
is the practical matter of publishing schedule, although with vol. 3,
no. 2 due back from the printers on Dec. 22, we are currently back on
track.
     Second, we would like to announce our www page (perpetually under
construction!): http://www.pitt.edu/~djbpitt/jsl.html/; there you will
find: contents of all issues, incorporating abstracts of papers
already published and in press; copy of our style sheet (published in
vol. 2, no.  2); subscription and editorial addresses and other
information; shareware and freeware Macintosh fonts used in the
preparation of camera-ready copy; a Template MS Word 5.1a document for
contributors who would like to make our eventual editorial work easier
(!), and other information. Before the end of the year we will add the
full text of our Reflections pieces, which feature discussion of
various issues affecting the field of Slavic linguistics (see contents
below for the latest installments), an electronic version of the
invaluable Billings & Maling annotated bibliography (see contents;
this version includes information removed from the published version
for the sake of space, and will be updated periodically as new
contributions to the literature come to light), and we will update the
Style sheet in response to comments and corrections by readers,
including the addition of a list of standard JSL abbreviations.
     Third, annual subscriptions (one volume, two issues, 430 pages in
1995) are available from: Journal of Slavic Linguistics, Dept. of
Slavic Languages, Ballantine 502, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
47405 USA (email jsl at indiana.edu; fax 1-812-855-2107; tel
1-812-855-2624). Rates are: $40 institutions; $30 individuals (with a
10% discount for standing orders or annual subscriptions placed before
Jan. 31 of a given year); $20 students (or for individuals from
Eastern Europe or the former Soviet Union; we especially encourage
western linguists to consider gift subscriptions for colleagues there
at this bare-bones rate). Back issues are available from IULC (720
E. Atwater, Bloomington, IN 47401 USA), as noted in their posting, at
$22/copy. The 1995 volume may still be ordered at subscription (rather
than back issue) rates; the JSL editors would prefer that orders be
sent to the new address rather than IULC (although all vol. 3 revenues
will be turned over to IULC) to simplify our transition to vol. 4.
             George Fowler, Editor-in-Chief (gfowler at indiana.edu)

JSL, vol. 3, no. 1, 1995 (1-218)

  Lenore A. Grenoble. Reflections: Future Directions in Slavic
    Linguistics                                                       1
ARTICLES
  John Bailyn. Underlying Phrase Structure and "Short" Verb
    Movement in Russian                                              13
  Robert Beard. The Gender-Animacy Hypothesis                        59
  Frank Y. Gladney. The Accentuation of Russian Verbforms            97
  Kyril Holden and Monika Lozinska. The Function of Simplex and
    Derived Imperfectives in Russian: An Experimental Study         139
REMARK
  Vladimir Orel. Slavic *ryba 'fish'                                164
REVIEW
  Charles E. Townsend. (Bernard Comrie and Greville G. Corbett.
    The Slavonic languages)                                         170
BIBLIOGRAPHY
  Loren A. Billings and Joan Maling. Accusative-Assigning Participial
    -no/-to Constructions in Ukrainian, Polish, and Neighboring
    Languages: An Annotated Bibliography. Part 1: A-M               177

JSL, vol. 3, no. 2, 1995 (219-430; in press)

  From the Editor                                                   219
  Charles Gribble. Reflections: Reflections: Scholarly Publishers
    in Slavic Linguistics, or Why I Would Rather See than Be One    221
ARTICLES
  Sue Brown and Steven Franks. Asymmetries in the Scope of
    Russian Negation                                                239
  Stephen M. Dickey. A Comparative Analysis of the Slavic
    Imperfective General-Factual                                    288
  Gilbert C. Rappaport. Wh-Movement-in-Comp in Slavic Syntax and
    in Logical Form                                                 308
  Jeanmarie Rouhier-Willoughby. The Effect of Discourse Functions
    on the Voice of Bidiathesis -sja Verbs                          357
REMARK
  Zheng-Min Dong. On Phonologically Null Prepositions in Russian    378
REVIEW
  David K. Hart. (Tore Nesset. Russian Stress: Stress as an
    Inflectional Formative in Russian Noun Paradigms and Bybee's
    Cognitive Morphology)                                           387
BIBLIOGRAPHY
  Loren A. Billings and Joan Maling. Accusative-Assigning Participial
    -no/-to Constructions in Ukrainian, Polish, and Neighboring
    Languages: An Annotated Bibliography. Part 2: N-Z               396