6.1711, Qs: Celtic in North America, Cluster Analysis, MT software

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Dec 7 20:03:00 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1711. Thu Dec 7 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  123

Subject: 6.1711, Qs: Celtic in North America, Cluster Analysis, MT software

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Mon, 04 Dec 1995 09:52:04 +0100
From:  hartmut at ruc.dk (Hartmut Haberland)
Subject:  Celtic in North America?

2)
Date:  Mon, 04 Dec 1995 12:45:18 -0400
From:  ANA at beattie.uct.ac.za ("* Deumert, A, Ana, Ms")
Subject:        cluster analysis

3)
Date:  Sun, 03 Dec 1995 21:31:28 EST
From:  HKARN at guvax.acc.georgetown.edu (Helen Karn)
Subject:  Q: English/German MT software

Date:  Mon, 04 Dec 1995 09:52:04 +0100
From:  hartmut at ruc.dk (Hartmut Haberland)

In the German press (Berliner Morgenpost of November 26, 1995) reports
have appered that somebody has found an American Indian language in
North Dakota, called Mandan, which at least in its lexicon and
according to this report has a great deal of resemblance with Modern
Welsh (which again is taken as part of a proof that the Welsh were in
North America in 1170). The resemblances listed in the article are

Welsh		Mandan		gloss
prydferth	prydfa		beautiful
achyfi		akeiwi		repulsive
dwr		duah		water
llaeth		fa"hth		milk
cwm		kum		valley
buwch		buch		cow
telyn		tefyn		harp

(I have not checked the Welsh items. The glosses are re-translated
from German. The Ethnologe (at www.sil.org) lists Mandan as a Siouan
language with 6 remaining speakers.)

Does anybody know anything about this here?