6.1746, Qs: locative Phrases, proverbial Competence, Child Language

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Dec 14 20:25:34 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1746. Thu Dec 14 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  139

Subject: 6.1746, Qs: locative Phrases, proverbial Competence, Child Language

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:05:19 +0900
From:  fujimoto at seinan-gu.ac.jp
Subject:  Re:Informant check

2)
Date:  Wed, 13 Dec 1995 13:30:24 PST
From:  AKAYE at CCVAX.FULLERTON.EDU ("Alan S. Kaye")
Subject:  Proverbial Competence

3)
Date:  Thu, 14 Dec 1995 20:30:45 +0100
From:  freyberg at rz.uni-potsdam.de (klaus freyberg)
Subject:  Child Language

Date:  Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:05:19 +0900
From:  fujimoto at seinan-gu.ac.jp

Dear Sirs;

I am a student in the fourth year of Seinan Gakuin University.  Now I
am doing research for my graduation thesis.  I will be glad if you
would help me.

I am interested in the locality of Locative phrases based on Rizzi's
"Relativized Minimality".  I made interrogative sentenses which have
two wh-elements.  I would like to do Informat check because I cannot
judge the acceptability of those sentenses precisely.  I numbered the
sentenses from (1) to (6), and each number includes two sentenses.
Would you compare and judge which sentense is more acceptable?  Please
put "*" when you consider a sentense as ungramatical, and put "?" or
"??" when you feel that a sentense is strange.

(1) (     ) a. Where did you wonder how to put the books t ?
		(-- I wondeeed how to put the books on the shelf.)
    (     ) b. How did you wonder where to put the books t ?
                (-- I wondered where to put the books at random.

(2) (     ) a. Where did you wonder how to play the guitar t ?
		(-- I wondered how to play the guitar in his room.)
	    	(      (     ) b.
 How did you wonder where to play the guitar t ?
                (-- I wondered where to play the guitar to my heart content.)

(3) (     ) a. Where did you wonder how to treat Mary t ?
		(-- I wondered how to treat mary in the classroom.)
    (     ) b. How did you wonder where to treat Mary t ?
	        (-- I wondered where to treat Mary kindly.

(4) (     ) a. Where did you wonder how to study English t ?
		( -- I wondered how to study English in the library.)
    (     ) b. How did you wonder where to study English t ?
		(-- I wondered where to study English in a loud voice.)

(5) (     ) a. Where did you wonder what to put t ?
		(-- I wondered what to put under the  chair.)
    (     ) b. What did you wonder where to put t ?
		(-- I wondered where to put the vase.)

(6) (     ) a. Where did you wonder what to buy t ?
                (-- I wondered what to buy in that shop.)
    (     ) b. What did you wonder where to buy t ?
                (-- I wondered where to buy a cup.)

Thank you very much.  I look forward to your early reply.

Sincerely Yours,

Maki Irie
Student of Seinan Gakuin University