6.1759, All: XVIth International Congress of Linguists

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Dec 17 23:30:47 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1759. Sun Dec 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  52

Subject: 6.1759, All: XVIth International Congress of Linguists

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 14 Dec 1995 00:07:01 +0100
From:  martinha at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)
Subject:  Paris PICL Congress 1997

Date:  Thu, 14 Dec 1995 00:07:01 +0100
From:  martinha at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)

If the LINGUIST list hasn't discussed the participation fees of the XVIth
International Congress of Linguists (Paris 1997) yet, perhaps it should.
The congress organizers charge FRF 1200 for participation (over US$ 250),
and later rates will be as high as FRF 1750 (over US$ 350).
  Conference fees of this scale will inevitably mean that a lot of
linguists will think twice before attending the congress.
  Now one might argue that it's the Paris organizers' business, but I
think all linguists should be interested in an international congress
that is within reasonable financial limits. I like the idea of a
super-congress once every five years, where I can meet and see linguists
from all over the world that I would never have the chance of seeing again.
  The International Congress of Linguists is organized "under the
auspices of" the Permanent International Committee of Linguists (PICL).
Does the PICL have any influence on the descision of the local
organizers? Would the PICL approve of such rates of participation fees?
  It's probably too late now to make any changes, but still I would like
to see the issue discussed. Do we want such mega-conferences? Do they
have to be extraordinarily expensive?

Martin Haspelmath (Free University of Berlin)