6.1773, Qs: X's being, Genitive -s, Reading Lists, Azerbaidjani

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Dec 21 17:36:58 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1773. Thu Dec 21 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  142

Subject: 6.1773, Qs: X's being, Genitive -s, Reading Lists, Azerbaidjani

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)

Date:  Sun, 17 Dec 1995 21:53:47 MST
From:  ROSSJ at SONOMA.EDU
Subject:  Grammar Question

2)
Date:  Mon, 18 Dec 1995 08:17:08 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Query: Genitive suffix in -s in any non-IE lg?

3)
Date:  Mon, 18 Dec 1995 14:02:39 -0400
From:  DUMASB at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU ("Bethany Dumas, UTK")
Subject:  Query ABout Linguistic Reading Lists

4)
Date:  Tue, 19 Dec 1995 12:48:37 +0200
From:  yabdil at ata.kho.edu.tr (Kara Harp Okulu Yabanci Dil Bolumu )
Subject:  MUTUAL INTELLIGIBILTY

Date:  Sun, 17 Dec 1995 21:53:47 MST
From:  ROSSJ at SONOMA.EDU

      Time for your help...

      I have a very specific grammatical question which I'd like some
      help on -- references, explanation, etc.

      In phrases of the form "X's being ___", where these are used to
      denote states-of-affairs, and which serve as nominals which are
      the subject in a larger sentential context (as in "Mary's being
      late caused John anguish"), is it grammatically proper to use
      general terms (i.e., plural nouns) in the X position preceding
      the possessive form "'s", or only singular terms? I.e., can one
      grammatically say "Women's being dissatisfied is a cause of
      divorce" (or, "Women's being dissatisfied causes many
      divorces"?), rather than "Woman's being ..." or "The women's
      being dissatisfied..."?

      Are there any cases of such use of plural nouns which are
      legitimate? Are all such uses legitimate? Or not?

      If not, why not? What is the explanation? According to
      traditional theories of grammar, or according to some version of
      transformational linguistics, or ...?

      Musingly yours, etc.

  --Jay Halcomb--halcomb at sonoma.edu