6.1780, Qs: Bilingual Experience, Lang and Violence, Code switching

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Dec 23 19:00:45 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1780. Sat Dec 23 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  148

Subject: 6.1780, Qs: Bilingual Experience, Lang and Violence, Code switching

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Sat, 09 Dec 1995 19:57:40 GMT
From:  liljansberg at bahnhof.se (Una Cunningham-Andersson)
Subject:  bilingual experience

2)
Date:  Sat, 09 Dec 1995 21:28:40 EST
From:  afn11122 at afn.org (M J Hardman)
Subject:  Re: language and violence

3)
Date:  Thu, 21 Dec 1995 21:59:08 +0100
From:  ahousen at vnet3.vub.ac.be (Alex Housen)
Subject:  Code switching in pop lyrics

Date:  Sat, 09 Dec 1995 19:57:40 GMT
From:  liljansberg at bahnhof.se (Una Cunningham-Andersson)

Hi,

I am researching the effects of living with two languages and would
greatly appreciate input from any of you who are now or have in the
past been using more than one language in the course of your daily
life.

I am thinking of parents whose children are bilingual from birth
because of the parents each speaking a different language to them,
immigrant children and adults who have to use a language other than
their native one outside the home, but there are many other ways you
may be involved with 2 or more languages.

Any of you you are willing to share your knowledge and experiences
with me please get in touch, telling me what languages are involved in
your case, and what the background is. I will then get back to you
with more specific questions.

For myself, and as an example of the kind of info I want at this
stage, I am an Irish immigrant to Sweden, married to a Swede with whom
I speak English.  We have 4 Swedish-English speaking children aged 9,
7, 3, 1 and a half. I speak English to them and their dad speaks
Swedish to them.

Thanks for your help

Una Cunningham-Andersson